Questions & Answers

Be sure to ask me some questions for my 100th post. If you have multiple questions that is fine as well. Don't be shy! Click here to add your question(s).

Monday, March 22, 2010

PTSD

First off I want to say that No, I am not just randomly deciding to discuss PTSD on here. However, I was catching up on my blogging last night and came across this topic in a comment and felt the need to provide resources, etc. (I guess that's the counselor in me). A comment in reponse to New Girl on Post's post titled Somewhat Controversial stated that "the armed services need to step up their counseling/PTSD services a bit more." I am not trying to call anybody out or accuse anybody of lying or being wrong. I just feel like not everybody is informed on this topic and it really is something that we all (as spouses, girlfriends, fiances, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters) should be aware of the services that are out there for our loved ones.

So I would like to start with some symptoms of PTSD that you should look for when your loved one returns home:
There are 4 types of symptoms:
-Reliving the event
-Avoiding situations that remind you of the event
-Numbing
-Feeling Keyed Up

Some other common problems which individuals with PTSD may have are:
-Drinking or drug problems
-Feelings of hopelessness, shame, or despair
-Employment problems
-Relationship problems including divorce or violence
-Physical symptoms

Some good resources for you are:

www.ptsdresources.org This site has some videos which may be helpful as well as links to helpful books.
www.ptsd.va.gov This is the link the the Deparment of Veterans Affairs' National Center for PTSD.
www.mentalhealth.va.gov Through this link you can find additional information such as that at: www.mentalhealth.va.gov/OEFOIF/OEF_OIF_PTSD_andDepression.asp
At this site there is information on What is PTSD, Treatment for PTSD, Depression and Trauma, and Depression.
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention/index.asp This site is the VA's site for suicide prevention. The phone number for the suicide prevention lifeline is 1-800-273-TALK
(8255). At the bottom of this website there is an area title "Get Help" which has information for Resource Guide for Family Members, Talking to your 4-8 year old, Talking to your 9-13 year old, and Talking to your 14-18 year old. The information about talking to your child is helping you talk about a suicide attempt in your family.

The most important thing for you to do if you think that your loved one has PTSD or is having suidicial ideation is to seek help. The links above will help you receive the help that you need.

I apologize to anybody who does not want to hear about this, and if you are offended that I am even talking about this I am truly sorry. I don't mean to offend anybody but this is unfortunately reality and I unfortunately have had to face some of this in my past. Therefore, I have learned a lot over the years and have attended multiple informational sessions on PTSD/Suicide Prevention. This is not a full overview of EVERYthing out there, but a piece of what the VA has to offer. You can find more on their website. If you have any questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting something about PTSD. It is such a touchy subject, but something every military wife needs to be aware of! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know my hubby says no soldier goes to combat and comes back unaffected. Although he doesn't suffer from ptsd they all have battle scares. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the resources. I'm the one who made that comment, so I came to check out this post. I completely understand what you're saying about how relatives and loved ones of soldiers need to educate & prepare themselves as best they can before, during & after the deployment. That is one area I know I slipped up on. I thought about it, but brushed it off thinking it wouldn't happen to him. I would highly suggest relatives & loved ones read some books & material on PTSD before their service member comes home.
    However, I didn't make my comment about the armed services 'stepping up' their counseling services in regards to that. I know there are various and many resources for counseling (some free) returning soldiers. What many do not realize though is that when these soldiers go to counseling, sometimes their careers are at risk. Some may say, oh no, that's impossible, they wouldn't do that. But from experience with my ex, it's unfortunately still true in some circumstances. Not all of course, but in some. I don't want to divulge too much info, but when he came back he could not go to counselors within his particular service without risking his job. If he had gone to a psychiatrist, then he would have had to say that he sought medical help for his mental health on his security clearance paperwork (if he wanted to be honest). For saying he had seen a medical professional for his mental health, his clearance would have been taken away. And with his clearance gone, he would be out of his job (since it required it).
    So..that is why I made that comment. I realize if he really really wanted to, he maybe could have gotten around it, or gone to a counselor outside of the service. But, the point is that he was in fear of losing his job (& probably his dignity and respect) for seeking mental help and that is just wrong. I think that is a tragedy, and that is why I say the counseling and PTSD services should be worked on. I have seen the crap that comes out of PTSD and I think about all these girlfriends, wives, families, and kids that have gone through it, are going through it, or will go through it. And the service members. They risked their lives and now they have to deal with this. It's hard to think about, yes, but as you said, it is unfortunately reality. I just hope that some things are changed within the services so that soldiers feel comfortable going to counselors, without any fear of losing their job, without the fear of not being respected, or anything like that. They should be supported, especially in seeking help.
    So yeah, that's my rant. haha Sorry it's so long! I hope I didn't come off as attacking you or anything. It's kind of a sensitive subject for me still. I really do appreciate you finding these resources & I hope they help others. :)

    ReplyDelete

Background